POINT OF VIEW * This is a space for sharing our point of view about big things, little things, and everything in between.

1/11/2010

Welcoming cold days of cozy cocooning.



Colchester, UK (Thanks to my lovely niece, Natalie, for the pic.)




Pamplona, Spain (Thanks to my friend Veronica for the pic.)

We don't have snow in Florida (for now). However, this morning our thermometer was showing four degrees C. Truth is, every now and again,  I love it. It means that I change tank tops and flip flops for jumpers and shoes, and, even better, I have an excuse to drink hot chocolate, or to stay at home watching a movie under a cozy blanket. Little pleasures that were forgotten since living in this sunny American region.

My granddad was a farmer. He always said that snow makes the soil fertile,  the roots stronger and everything else healthier by killing bugs and bacteria. My mother loves to open all the windows in the morning for half an hour, when it is freezing, to bring the clean and crispy air into every corner of the house, so it is only normal that when I see these pictures of the snow, or when I feel the cold of the mornings, I get excited. It feels like somehow, the cold will sweep away all the bugs from our lives, making it stronger and more fertile too. It feels that it is time to do as nature does: slow down,  hibernate, develop in our cocoon. It is time for books, for family reunions, for hot tea, for board games, for baking cakes, and if you have a homeless shelter near by, it is also time to go and see if we can give a hand. It is cold for everybody, but it does not have the same meaning for all of us.

2 comentarios:

  1. Dear Helena,

    I'd just like to say that it's so nice and cheering reading such a positive side of things. I like very much your third option about the Haiti disaster, an option I would've never thought about myself. I suppose I'm not so much into meditation, but it definitely seems to me interesting, to say the least.

    And your approach on the winter time, and the cold that I usually so much dislike... made me smile and cheer up a bit in a way... (Not having a great day today!) Thank you! Keep on writing please!

    Arantxa xx

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks Arantxa!. It is encouraging having readers like you.

    ResponderEliminar